Monday, October 17, 2016

IN RESPONSIBILITIES OF FREEDOM

Yesterday I stood silent on the platform, waiting for chaos…   
The fires along the roadside shivered in the distance
that swam in a breath of inflection…
I watched her undress

in front of the mirror, & above, I whom she had astonished, a throb of existence
glistened with the dark-gates of freedom, the reeling masts
swollen with winds that slipped from the south.  & we  
in the famine of our times suddenly reminded of the ospreys haunting
the glass.  I watched a stranger with a pistol
pacing along the strand…

Yesterday I sprawled on the pavilion & conversed with the Gods...
The sunset splashed in the eyes of a dog lying in the
street, & the sad slow whimper of the end of an era, somehow reminiscent  
of its pain.  I saw night-birds hover above the temple,
there were a few last remnants, we thought…   
& a broken cycle lying in the gutter
where luminous fish fed on the livers
of ghosts.  I set forth… 

& stood where the sun teetered briefly on the edge, a woman in pink    
stole into an abandoned shrine.  I saw the flash of her coat trailing 
in a moment that slipped by in blaze of leaves, a blast of heat in the heart of winter… 
Three or four of us now, the sun sailing on deep horizons
of glass, the drip of light spilling over the sequence of my past…   
& the cask of musk-melons
at the station…  

Fish fed on the fragments of our memory, the nocturnal
kind, that hid-deep in the valleys of migrations     
the abysses of pain, & those hours of torture they made us endure
without quite knowing why, nor did we
ask, as some giant peered in with
an enormous eye, & we spoke in whispers
to those who would listen…

Yesterday I rose where the light dripped into
the distance, there was a deep pain in the act of waking, the dark sun
swam in the sadness of having lived, at the immense
weight that bore down on our lives, in a place    
that was vaguely familiar…  

No comments:

Post a Comment